summerreadingproject

Summer Reading Project, BookLikes Satellite

Never stop reading. (Content originally posted at Blogger.)

Swimming Lessons, by Claire Fuller

Swimming Lessons - Claire Fuller

Relationships are a mystery to outsiders. Perhaps it’s not so surprising after all that so much literary fiction attempts to peer inside disintegrating marriages. Most of what we know of a relationships comes from what a friend, one half of that relationship, tells us, with the slant that comes with hearing only one side of the story. Swimming Lessons, by Claire Fuller, gives us two sides to the story of a marriage that ended with one half of the couple disappearing into the sea. Ingrid, the one who disappeared, tells us her story through letters written before she left or drowned. Another side of the story is told by Flora, one of the couple’s daughters, who saw her father with the admiring eyes of a child. As each chapter passes, more is revealed and heroes become villains only to be redeemed again. Swimming Lessons is one of the most elegantly written examples of its genre that I’ve ever read...

Read the rest of my review at A Bookish Type. I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley for review consideration.