summerreadingproject

Summer Reading Project, BookLikes Satellite

Never stop reading. (Content originally posted at Blogger.)

Blitzed, by Norman Ohler

Blitzed: Drugs in the Third Reich - Norman Ohler, Shaun Whiteside

As a reader of nonfiction, I tend to return to the same subjects over and over again: Victorian social histories, the European theater of World War II, war crimes, and weird medical history. These are pretty broad territories, but narrow in the grand scheme of things. What I like about nonfiction in these areas is that each bit of new information the historians dig up fills in the picture a little more. I thought about this a lot while reading Blitzed: Drugs in the Third Reich, by Norman Ohler (translated by Shuan Whiteside). Historians keep coming back to Hitler’s life, searching for a reason why he committed his terrible crimes, how he suckered an entire nation into following him. Hitler is the great evil and we want to understand. Ohler’s book on Nazi drug use goes a long way to explaining the irrationality of Hitler’s behavior during the war. I was fascinated...

Read the rest of my review at A Bookish Type. I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley for review consideration.